This was so embarassing it deserves its own paragraph. After last night's loss, Red Wings fans were in tears because, you know, we're all about the regular season here in Detroit (/rant).
Jacob Turner, the only real uber prospect currently in the Tigers' farm system, is hoping to add a slider to his repertoire this spring. Lots of fans are also hoping to see him add a pickoff move sometime soon.
If you like basketball shoes, then check out Complex Magazine's rankings of the 25 best shoes in Michigan basketball history. If you don't like basketball shoes, then click it anyway and keep reading.
National League MVP Ryan Braun's 50-game suspension was overturned yesterday, raising some serious questions about the MLB's drug testing policies. However, you're probably more upset that the guy picking right before you in your fantasy draft just took Braun in the 3rd round. Is that just me? OK then...
What I learned today: they make brunettes in Finland.no comments
Apparently Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder aren't the only ones knocking down tree branches during Spring Training batting practice. Jhonny Peralta went deep a few times himself, hopefully showing a preview of things to come this season.
Bloguin's baseball offseason report cards apparently take future years into account (logjam at 1B my ass), but a B+ for the Tigers still isn't too bad.
The always eloquent brain of Phil Coke gives his opinion of all of the Tigers' name puns used on the now-obsolete scoreboard last season. Meanwhile, there are no puns needed when Alex Rodriguez is involved.
A word of advice: if you're going to try to rush the court/field/ice (would that be awesome or what?), talk to the security guards first.
Want to make a car go even faster without changing the engine? Paint Kenny Powers on the hood.
Arianny Celeste's entire job is to look like this at all times, and she's very good at it. Speaking of attractive people, Tampa Bay Rays 3B Evan Longoria confirms that he is dating a Playboy Playmate.no comments
Not that we're jealous or anything (we are), but TMZ caught an interview with Matthew Stafford at an airport last week.
Apparently Michigan's John Beilein is a fan of the movie Tin Cup.
Despite what we really want (hint: it rhymes with Schmanthony Schmavis), Lawrence Frank reiterates that the Pistons aren't going to tank this season.
The Red Wings placed goalie Ty Conklin on waivers yesterday, meaning that Joey MacDonald is in Detroit to stay after playing very well in relief for Jimmy Howard while he was injured. Also not staying in Detroit: prospect Max Nicastro, who was arrested on sexual assault charges.
Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld resists the urge to compare his faceplant running out of the dugout after the Rays clinched their playoff berth last season to the Red Sox epic collapse in this very entertaining piece for Grantland, but I won't.
I'd love to see a 3-year old kid interviewed about Jeremy Lin in New York, but nobody wants to hear a 3-year old dropping f-bombs left and right. [via The Basketball Jones]
They're baaaaack. The Tigers' pitchers and catchers reported to Spring Training yesterday. Workouts begin this morning. Actually, they're probably already happening unless you still had to work today, sucka.
Michigan had a great weekend on the football field as well... sort of. The Wolverines pulled in EIGHT 4-star recruits (including a Butt and a Taco) in a 48-hour period. Instead of giving you eight links for dudes that you've probably never heard of, check out MGoBlog for recruiting info that you don't have to pay for.
Meanwhile, Branden Dawson went BOOM.
A lot of people are up in arms about how linsensitive ESPN is being over the whole Jeremy Lin headline fiasco. Linside sources say that one dude has already been fired while another was suspended. We'll keep you linformed of any updates.
Speaking of linside linformation, this woman wants some.
Also, Lin's teammate J.R. Smith needs a new barber.
Oh hey, the Red Wings won their 23rd straight game at home. No big deal.
I think the title of this story by Nick Collison should be "How to Survive in the NBA When You're White." It's the same idea.no comments
Sorry for not posting any links yesterday, we were too busy snowboarding with light up suits on to put a post together.
The Red Wings' re-ascension to the top of the NHL has brought about questions as to whether they're good enough to win it all. So far, all signs point to yes.
LeBron James didn't exactly say that he wanted to go back to Cleveland, but he was less than subtle with his quip about wanting to be welcomed back with open arms if he ever did re-sign with the Cavaliers. Good luck with that one, chief.
Apparently Jeremy Roenick would give up Patrick Kane for a good goalie, you know, in order to totally cripple their future. Regardless, I think Ken Holland should offer up Joey MacDonald. You know, just in case.no comments
Detroit Link City:
- The Red Wings won their 21st straight game at home and are getting Jimmy Howard back from injury on Sunday. Excitement is everywhere in Hockeytown.
- Ben Wallace set the record for most NBA games played by an undrafted player last night. Unfortunately, 2004 Ben Wallace was unavailable to play and the Pistons lost to the Spurs.
- Speaking of Big Ben, he's once again reiterated that this is his last, final season ever (though I wouldn't mind if he pulled a Brett Favre).
- Think you're good enough to make the Tigers roster? Well, you're not. If you're intent on making a fool of yourself, the Tigers are holding tryouts on March 5th in Florida.
- Since you enjoyed the 10 best things about being a Tigers fan that we hearted so much yesterday, here's a list of 20 more.
- Tomas Holmstrom got a snowmobile for playing in his 1,000th NHL game. That feeling of terror that you have right now is the same that goaltenders have all the time.
All the other stuff:
- Here's a video of Kate Upton's Sports Illustrated photoshoot because... well, because.
- While ESPN can't get enough of Jeremy Lin at the moment, one reasonable individual compares Linsanity to the Brandon Jennings phenomenon two years ago. One big difference: Brandon Jennings didn't get into Harvard.
- Tim Tebow might not be banging Katy Perry, but he should be. Of course, you can't blame him for going after a nice Southern girl instead.
- Roddy White is disappointed that Roger Goodell makes more than he does.
- Brad Marchand of the Boston Bruins wasn't on the team's commemorative DVD after winning last year's Stanley Cup win because he was still partying four days later. Good man.
- The Red Wings won their 20th straight home game last night, tying an NHL record, and getting some praise from an unlikely source in the process.
- Despite Greg Monroe's efforts to carry the team, the Pistons had their winning streak snapped by the Washington Wizards last night.
- Speaking of Deeetroit basketball (on his shirt, that is), Miguel Cabrera looks like he could carry the team in a different way.
- Both Michigan and Michigan State won big basketball games this weekend. Somewhere, Tom Izzo is still screaming at someone.
- Once again, Drew Sharp proved that he is a moron by suggesting that the NFL change the value of the field goal. Instead of linking to his garbage, here's Big Al tearing it apart.
Lovely ladies to help you get through your Monday:
- Kate Upton is a big Michigan fan. SCHWING.
- U.S. soccer player Alex Morgan will be gracing the pages of the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
- Erin Heatherton is also somewhat good-looking.
Light load of links for you this thirsty Thursday. Let's get classy.
- Last night was Ultimate Fan Night for those not concerned with any silly intrastate rivals -- The Red Wings, Pistons, Wolverines, and Spartans all won last night. The Wings have won 18 straight at home and the Pistons have won three straight overall. Michigan and MSU within a game of each other in the Big Ten standings, with big games this weekend.
- What about the Pistons???
- Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight were selected to play in the rising stars challenge.
- Pistons' tickets amongst cheapest (or most unwanted) in NBA
- The Tigers have been winning since January 24, but Keith Law says their farm sucks.
- Congratulations, media. You've turned one of the more likeable guys in sports into the fourth most disliked. Suh ranks just behind serial liar and womanizer, dog killer, and convicted felon. Don't worry though, he definitely deserves to be disliked more than someone who made millions on a sham marriage to one of the more vile human beings in our country, LeBron James, and Alex Rodriguez. /sarcasm. I guess the question now is, where do we insert Kevin Love now, because he stepped on a guy's face in a non-contact sport. Also, where the fuck is Ben Roethlisberger and AJ Pierzynski?
- I watched exactly 10 seconds of MLB Fan Cave related stuff after watching the winners' intro videos last year, but I did scope out the Detroit finalists for this year and I've decided to support two of the better ones -- Jay Tuohey and Michael Heidner.
- Who needs Yoenis when you have Andy Dirks? (we do)